}

15 November 2012

Exploring the Kruger National Park

Ever since I got my digital camera in 2006, it’s been a dream of mine to go on an extended safari and take photos of some of my favourite animals and birds on the African bush.  Well, some dreams do come true.  I have just returned from three weeks camping in the Kruger and it was absolutely unforgettable – an experience I will savour for a long time.


Here are some of the highlights of my trip:
  • Travelling the full length of the Kruger from South to North (over 350 km’s) and staying in 6 camps along the way. 
  • Seeing a solitary, somewhat bedraggled (it was pouring with rain) but nevertheless exciting lion within 5 minutes of driving into the park.
  • The exceptional beauty of the far north (Parfuri region) with its lush river ways, baobab trees and abundant bird life.
  • Four sightings of my favourite African animal – the leopard.  The first sighting was a teasing tail disappearing into the bush, the second sighting was a leopard crossing the road at pace, but on the third sighting, a regal, magnificent, fearless male came right up to my car window, something I’ll never forget.  It was well worth the three and a half hour wait for him to come out from under the bush where he had been resting all afternoon.
  • Getting photos of some of my favourite African birds, including four types of Kingfisher, Giant Eagle Owl, European Bee-Eater and Lilac Breasted Roller.  
  • Watching some titanic clashes, including two rampaging hippos tear into each other and two male Kudus locking horns.
  • The hive of activity at The Lake Picnic bird hide, situated on a beautiful lake, with wallowing hippos, basking crocodiles, malachite kingfishers flitting from branch to branch like little jewels, jacanas trotting from lily to lily and masked weavers frantically building their nests.  So active, yet deeply peaceful.  Unless you happen to be the photographer who dropped his $15,000 telephoto lens and camera into the water from the hide window a week before I was there!
  • Watching a large herd of buffalo on the way to Satara.  I felt like I was in the Serengetti during migration.
  • Waking up to a crescendo of bird calls coming from outside the tent – the daily morning chorus of the African bush.
  • Listening to the soul enriching sounds of The Kruger.  To me, this is epitomized by the furtive cry of the Fish Eagle, the hooting of the Burchel’s Coucal, the strident “Piet My Vrou’s” of the Red Chested Cuckoo, the indignant “Go Aways” of the Grey Lourie, the bellows of the wallowing hippos and the roars of lions outside the camp at night.  Sounds I’ll never grow tired of.
  • Seeing African Wild Dog on my very last game drive in the park.  I had made peace with the fact I wouldn’t see them.  And then, there they were, just 10 minutes from returning to camp.  Great excitement!  
  • Lots of time to think and reflect on life.  I took a journal and filled it up with musings.
  • A call from my wonderful mum at 6 pm every night and reminiscing about my day.
  • Meeting some lovely people in the camps – especially sharing stories with fellow twitchers about the megaticks we’d seen and dreamed of seeing.
  • Every so often, treating myself to a succulent steak at the camp restaurant, after many nights of tuna and pasta.   
  • Meeting up with Jo in Joberg for a night on my way back to Sydney.  It was so awesome to spend such quality time with her.  It made me forget that my holiday was at an end.


Some challenges along the way
  • Driving and looking for animals at the same time.  I could have done with a dedicated spotter!
  • Waking up in the middle of the night to find a giant millipede climbing over my leg.  I just about woke up the camp with my high pitched screams.
  • Getting naked into my sleeping bag to discover it contained nasty, aggressive  ‘ball-biter” ants.  So now I know where they got their name!
  • A mini typhoon with deafening wind that tore down my tent, followed by an uncomfortable night in the car.  The wind was so strong that the car rocked to and fro.
  • An encounter with an aggressive bull elephant – see related post here.

All in all, a wonderful experience.  I highly recommend The Kruger if you haven’t been.  Hope you enjoy the photos!


Leopard








Lion







Cheetah







Wild dog





Hyena





Elephant






Rhino



Hippo




Zebra






Giraffe







Buffalo





Impala







Kudu




Nyala



Waterbuck





Bushbuck



Wildebeest




Duiker



Baboon





Vervet Monkey




Warthog



Squirrel



Dwarf Mongoose



Dung Beetle



Crocodile




Lizard



Babies of the Kruger

Being Spring, many of the animals had babies.  Gorgeous, they were. Watching the tenderness and devotion that many of the parents showed to their youngsters, be they hyenas, zebras or monkeys, was uplifting and profound.  In one of the wildlife documentaries I saw in camp one night, a mother baboon in a tree lost hold of her baby during the panic of a leopard attack, and it fell to its death.  For three full days, she carried her baby's crumpled body everywhere you went, continuing to cradle it and groom it, before eventually letting go.  Parental love is clearly the domain of not not just us humans.



























Vistas










----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Birds

There were some amazing birds in The Kruger.  See my bird photos here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21 comments:

Jo said...

Absolutely gorgeous pics! Love them all. Xx

Ann said...

FANTASTIC photos. They really put mine to shame.
Ann in Hobart (Susie W's friend)

Tony Carlyon said...

Amazing!

Susana de Orbegoso said...

G!!
those pics are amazing!!!!
wow..... so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Works of art. Love the connection you have with the animals, your love of nature is a great gif. Thank you for sharing it with us. Cheers Chris

Lucy said...

Amazing photos and commentary, I'm glad you enjoyed your time there. Thanks for sharing.

Ellen Lo said...

Your photos are AMAZING!!! So makes me want to go back, especially since we didn't see any leopards nor cheetahs. How close were you to some of those creatures? Please tell me you have an enormous telephoto lens to get such close-ups!

Pippa said...

Wow, incredible photos Graeme! Makes me REALLY miss the African bush.

Roger said...

Was thinking of your trip last week. Glad it was worth it!

Sue said...

Hi Graeme

Spent ages looking at your numerous stunning, sensational photos from Kruger Park, that are beautiful and simply stunning. Surely you could make a living as a wildlife photographer???? I think that is your calling? I also liked your words son the blog as well

Piet said...

Hi Graeme, it looks like you had a fantastic trip to the Kruger! I need to go back there. It was good to look at the Orange river pics as well. It was a great trip.

Colin said...

I had a look through your pics from Kruger - superb. It reminded me of that trip to Sabi too. We're hoping to make it back there next year.

Julian said...

Hi Graeme, what a pity we could only catch up for a few hours while you were in Cape Town. I hope it won't be years before we get together again. Your Kruger photos are stunning - what amazing light. Also, I looked at your blog again.....the photos at Pringle Bay seem like yesterday.....

Neri said...

Great pics... Do you need a website lol?

Elaine said...

Hi. Your Kruger photos they are just wonderful - I especially loved the zebras and their patterns and the kudu with the locked horns - that old buffalo was looking you straight in the eye! And the individual birds just beautiful. The whole collection is outstanding and surely publishable.

Jilly said...

Loving your pics Graeme. Beautiful camera work too…!

Cinema com Ana Rodrigues said...

A-MA-ZING Graeme !

The photographer is the best ;)

How is beautiful the African fauna.

I will check the bird photos.

I loved the Bushbuck. Totally cute !

Cinema com Ana Rodrigues said...

The Zebras are gossiping :))

Trish said...

Amazing shots of an unforgettable experience. Reminds me of my safari 40 years ago but sadly I wasn't nearly as skilled a photographer.

Mum said...

I've never seen baby hyenas before. Great selection of pics!

Shushann said...

Clearly you have a fantastic camera. These photos are incredible. The colours and the settings are amazing. On par with shots in National Geographic! I love all the animals and so appreciate that you've named them, so that we know what they are. And the bird life is exquisite. Thank you again for sharing this and what an incredible journey you've been on.

Clicky