}

3 November 2014

Day out at Le Perouse

I had such a wonderful day out in Le Perouse with Meet Up.  The day stated on a cultural note and then we did a spectacular hike along the coast.

Custom's Tower
I never seem to grow tired of photographing this tower in Le Perouse. It was built in 1822 with views of the entry to Botany Bay. Troops were stationed in the watchtower to keep watch for smugglers. From 1833 until 1903, the watchtower took on the role of a customs house. The tower is the oldest structure in Botany Bay and the oldest customs house in New South Wales.

 



Bare Island
Our first stop was the military fort on Bare Island, built in 1885.  This island fortress can be gained access from the mainland by a hundred year old wooden foot bridge.  Bare Island was part of the traditional land of the Gweagal and Kameygal Aboriginal tribes. In 1770, it was described as ‘a small bare island’ by early explorer, Lieutenant James Cook, hence its current name.









Congwong Beach
Next stop was this beautiful beach with some lovely sculptured rocks.  I was tempted for a swim but got sidetracked with my photography and then lost the group. I ran to catch up, took a wrong turn and ended on a nudist beach!!  Needless to say, I didn't take any photos there.





A beautiful hike along the coast
Thankfully I caught up with the group eventually and I'm so very glad I did.  The coastal scenery on the 12 km walk we did was absolutely breathtaking.  I can't believe I haven't done this walk before!  It's destined to become one of my favourite coastal walks in Sydney.













As usual, I marvelled at all the beautiful flowers along the way.




We came across these fortifications that were used as defence during World War 2.  I always love exploring old buildings like this, and some of them had the best sea views in Sydney.





Of course, no hike is complete without a leap and I managed to recruit someone to share in the fun!




We came across this cemetery, used primarily as a quarantine cemetery from the 1880’s.  It is home to over 2000 graves.




On return to Le Perouse, we stopped to watch the reptile show which takes place every Sunday. We were shown lots of scary snakes to watch out for on our hikes!



A small group of us went for a bite to eat and them ambled back to Bare Island to enjoy the amazing rock formations, and in my case, do a final leap!

Joyce, Maria, Emily, Siva



The ice cream van at Le Perouse is an institution (at least for me!) and I wasn't leaving without a double with nuts and flake!!  I left happy.  What a great day out with lovely people.


5 comments:

Mum said...

The smile on your face says it all! Quite an impressive ice cream cone!! Matt would have enjoyed that too!

joanne said...

Gorgeous pics! Great leaping G. You obviously feel better. xxx

Ann said...

gorgeous

Ana said...

What a wonderful place and pictures ! Have a lovely Week !

Ana said...

Amazing photos. I loved them all.

Clicky