}

7 May 2015

Hiking to the Tugela Falls in The Northern Drakensberg

And here we are now at the highlight of the whole Baz bus trip: a hike to The Tugela Falls in the Northern Drakensberg, the 2nd highest waterfall in the world at 3400 metres. This is possibly the best hike I've ever done. The scenery was so spectacular that I had to keep pinching myself. I'm so totally in love with The Drakensberg.  I can't wait to come back here.














Just look at the scale of that rock face.  You almost expect to see the faces of American presidents carved into them!




Lovely flowers along the way.
A steep climb up a narrow gully ...

... brought us out onto the ceiling of the world.

Beautiful and exhilarating.





The iciest leap into water I've ever done. In fact, it was so frightfully cold my heart nearly stopped. But then what do you expect at 3400 metres!

Climbing down the chain ladders on the way down was a nice little adrenaline rush!

There were plenty more awe inspiring views on the walk back.



Here I am with our awesome guide.

The Amphitheatre Backpackers has to one of the best backpackers I've ever stayed at.

Such a relaxing setting...

... with a lovely bar, chill out spaces and even a jacuzzi!  The restaurant served the most amazing food - three courses every night.

From the backpackers, there was a beautiful walk through the grasslands...

... with a gorgeous mountain backdrop.

The grassland flowers were absolutely spectacular.



1 comments:

Mum said...

I can understand why you love it so much. Amazing scenery.

Clicky